Italy could transfer migrants from Ocean Viking rescue ship on Monday

Filed under: All News,more news,Opinion,RECENT POSTS,Somali news |
People rescued at sea sit on the deck of the Ocean Viking rescue ship, operated by French NGO SOS Mediterranee in the Mediterranean Sea on July 4, 2020.
People rescued at sea sit on the deck of the Ocean Viking rescue ship, operated by French NGO SOS Mediterranee in the Mediterranean Sea on July 4, 2020. © Shahzad Abdul, AFP

 The migrants have been on the Ocean Viking ship operated by SOS Mediterranee for over a week, with fights and suicide attempts on board prompting the charity to declare a state of emergency on Friday.

A medical team sent by authorities in Pozzallo, Sicily “ascertained the absence of particular health problems and also reported that some tensions that had been registered on the ship are being overcome”, the ministry source said.

The medical team is testing the migrants for the Covid-19 virus after which they will be transferred to a quarantine ship currently in Porto Empedocle, also in Sicily.

“The situation is carefully monitored in view of the transhipment of migrants, scheduled for Monday 6 July, on the Moby Zaza ship,” the source said.

The Ocean Viking, which has been in limbo in the Mediterranean south of Sicily, has been waiting for permission from Italy or Malta to offload the migrants at a safe port.

Tensions have risen in the past week, as witnessed by an AFP reporter aboard the boat, as migrants have become increasingly desperate to reach land. Others have become distraught at not being able to telephone their families to let them know they were safe.

Profile photo, opens profile page on Twitter in a new tab

 RRANEE

 @SOSMedIntl
“How long is it going to take?”, Emmanuel, survivor on #OceanViking, asked today. “Most of us are not used to the sea. I couldn’t sleep last night because of the waves. I see no signs of a solution. The doctor yesterday came to make a statement but didn’t give us a solution.”
SOS MEDITE
 Image

 SOS Mediteranee said in a statement on Saturday that “the only assistance proposed has been a visit by a medical doctor and a cultural mediator who spoke to the survivors but are not in a position to present a solution for their disembarkation.”

The migrants, which include Pakistanis, North Africans, Eritreans, Nigerians and others, were picked up after fleeing Libya in four separate rescues by the Ocean Viking on June 25 and 30.

The migrants include 25 minors, most of whom are unaccompanied by adults, and two women, one of whom is pregnant.

More than 100,000 migrants tried to cross the Mediterranean last year with more than 1,200 dying in the attempt, according to the International Organisation for Migration.

The arrival of summer and more favourable conditions at sea may lead to an increase of attempts to cross the Mediterranean with the hope of arriving in Europe.

(AFP)

Source:france24.com